Monday, May 18, 2009

Because she asked...

Come visit the tree of knowledge, she said
Won't you try my forbidden fruit?
I can show you things you otherwise would not know
I can elevate you, she said
Won't you come and walk with me?
We gotta run before the forest is overgrown

But once you go there with me, she said, you can never go back
Life can take you places or it can throw you off your track
And then she tells me, be careful not to stay too long
Or you may lose perception of what is right, and what is wrong
But once you go there with me, she said, then you will understand
How it feels to know this, How it feels to be a man
And then she tells me, be careful what I do
Or you may lose perception of who I am. Who the hell are you?

Won't you run through my garden, she said
Won't you come with me?
I can take you places you otherwise would not see
I can lift you higher, she said
Won't you come fly with me?
If we don't hurry, we won't see the forest through the trees

But once you go there, she said, you'll never be the same
Life can teach you responsibility, or teach you how to blame
And then she tells me, be careful not to stay too long
Or I may lose perception of what is right, and what is wrong
But once you go there with me, she said, you will realize
Life can drag you down, or make you feel alive
And then she tells me, be careful, for once you start
You may lose perception of what I am and what you are

Won't you come and take my hand, she said
Won't you come and follow my lead?
I'll coat your soul in a spirit you've never been shown
We can climb the tree together, she said
Won't you come and taste my fruit?
You have a choice, either follow me or stand alone

But once we are together, she said, things will never be the same
They may look upon us with pride, or turn their heads in shame
And then she tells me, we can’t stay here too long
Or we might lose perception of what is right, and what is wrong
But once we are together, she said, there will be no turning back
We must follow suit, or choose a separate path
And then she tells me, maybe this was wrong
We seem to have lost perception of who we were all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment