Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Some thoughts on unsolicited advice

Quite simply, DON'T BOTHER GIVING IT TO ME.  I'm most likely not going to listen, and if you harp on me about the same shit that you've been harping on me about since I back when I was flunking algebra in high school, I'm likely gonna just get pissed off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to listen to an old man that was going through his 30s about the time I was first being thought of, because it's quite possible he's been through some shit and likely knows what he's talking about.  That said, I'm a grown-ass man.  I know a lot of things about a lot of subjects, but I do understand that I don't know it all.  That's why I ASK for advice when I think I need help with something. 

You'll notice that you don't see me telling you how to keep your kids in line, how to mow your lawn, how to maintain your car, or how to pleasure your wife.  There's a reason for that.  Two, actually.  First of all, it ain't my place to be telling you these things.  Second, YOU DIDN'T FUCKING ASK ME. 

When I was younger, there was a lot of things I wanted to do in life.  Two of my biggest dreams fell way short.  One was foreclosed upon by forces stronger than myself, and the other is attainable but simply isn't a dream of mine any more.  It's no longer the person I really want to be.

There are a variety of reasons for this...including the time, money, and effort that would need to be expended in order to obtain such an achievement.  The biggest reason, however, is that I DON'T FUCKING WANT TO DO IT.  When I did want it, it was "for all the right reasons".  I now know that those reasons don't really matter to anyone who does, and pissing away several years and several thousands of dollars to obtain a piece of paper ain't gonna change that. 

Stop trying to prod me into it.  I value your opinions, but I'll ask when I want to hear them.  I don't know where life is gonna take me...but you can rest assured that it ain't going where someone tells me I have to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment