Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A good day to be alive (sorry, no politics tonight!)

So my friend K decided to post some pictures of her young'un, as he was sporting his first 'hawk. I don't know what it is about seeing my friends' kids, but it makes this bitter cynic's heart just melt. This past Saturday afternoon, I was at a gathering in honor of my friend C and his wife J, to celebrate C's graduation from college and give them a send-off as they moved out of town so he could start his new job. While there, I realized that as we started to slowly drift away from each other, we've also missed out on seeing each other's kids grow up.

As recent as five years ago, we were still the tight-knit crew that considered each other "family". We still had time to answer each others' phone calls. If we knew it was going to be "one of those nights", someone would find you a place to crash on the floor.

Now, as was the case with C's youngest, we've drifted so far apart that sometimes we don't even know they've had another kid until a year or so after the fact.

It's really sad to think that I've lost touch with my friends in such a manner, I think it's just beautiful that we as a generation are making positive contributions to society by providing this world with wonderful children...especially when we, as a generation (at least in my crew), have learned from the mistakes of their parents and attempt to right those wrongs.

But enough of that sappy shit. I saw that photo of little Brody this evening, sporting his 'hawk, and I just got a hard-on for life. It's been far too long since I've been this happy. I can already see that look in his eye. He's gonna be a complete handful for his parents, his teachers, and anyone else that thinks they can keep control!

For that reason, I hope his mother introduces him to some good quality punk rock music at an early age, so he doesn't have to find its' glory fifteen years down the road. It's just awesome, and should be available to everyone, as there's always something to fit every mood and emotion. Happiness, confusion, anger, heartache, the loss of a loved one, apathy, and a general desire to set shit on fire.

Here's some stuff that compliments a good mood...


Here's some stuff for when you're feeling a bit confused...


And now, here's the soundtrack to a pissed-off mood...


Here's a tune for your broken heart...


And when you lose someone close to you (helped me a bit, screaming along to this at the top of my lungs in my garage, when I lost my brother)...


For when you're feeling a bit apathetic, there's always this...


And when it gets too much to handle, and you just gotta burn that mother to the ground...


And there you have it, son. Set the world on fire in your own little way. Hopefully, when you're old enough to understand all of this, we'll both still be around to sit down and discuss it over a cold beer or seven...

And for K(B)C...when he starts lashing out, and recognizing who he is, at least attempt to understand the nature of the beast. Do that one little favor for Uncle Barry, m'kay?

No comments:

Post a Comment